UPDATED

Queensland Chief Health Officer Jeanette Young praises Logan's response to COVID-19 as state shuts border and Victoria records dark day

Good news: There are no COVID-19 positive cases at Logan, Redland or Beaudesert hospitals, according to Metro South Health.
Good news: There are no COVID-19 positive cases at Logan, Redland or Beaudesert hospitals, according to Metro South Health.

Wednesday, 5.30pm

There are no COVID-19 patients in hospitals at Logan, Redlands or the Scenic Rim, Metro South Health says.

It comes after 2080 tests were conducted in the region yesterday, and 2992 the day before.

The most tests were conducted in the region on July 31 at Metro South Health facilities, with 3140 people screened for COVID-19, according to a spokesman.

"There are currently no COVID-19 positive hospitalisations at Logan, Redland or Beaudesert hospitals," the spokesman said.

Wednesday, 3.20pm

Queensland's top health officer has praised Logan for its response to a potentially disastrous COVID-19 outbreak.

Chief Health Officer Jeanette Young spoke to Logan mayor Darren Power to pass on her congratulations to the city for its response.

Three women returning form Melbourne and starting a cluster in Logan could have had severe consequences for the city, but Cr Power said Dr Young was thrilled with most of his constituents for their actions.

"She said she was really proud of Logan and Logan residents for venturing out and getting themselves tested," Cr Power said.

Cr Power said Queensland Health should take the credit for its work in stopping the spread of the virus in the city.

"Queensland Health is probably the best health department in the country," he said.

"We had a heap of positives [cases] early in the piece. They were able to track them down and help stop the spread.

"Those three men who did the wrong thing, they have had the screening and haven't got it."

The trio allegedly travelled through the Queensland road border on the M1 at Coolangatta on Sunday with false G pass declarations, after having spent several weeks in Melbourne.

They were from Waterford, Slacks Creek and Loganlea.

Cr Power said their negative tests meant the city dodged another bullet.

Border to close: Chief Health Officer Jeanette Young.

Border to close: Chief Health Officer Jeanette Young.

"That's a big win for us. That [having them test positive] would have kept Logan on the front page again," he said.

"It's all positives for us.

"There have been about 85,000 tests in the region in the past week, and one positive today. They have done an excellent job."

He joined Dr Young in praising the majority of Logan residents for doing the right thing in the fight against the virus.

"We have people here in Logan who think about other people," Cr Power said.

Wednesday, 12.45pm

Victoria has set an unwanted COVID-19 record, with 725 new cases and 15 deaths in the state over the past 24 hours.

The tragic new figures mean 162 people have died from the virus, with 85 this week alone.

Wednesday, 11.20am

NSW has reported 12 new cases of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours.

One of those cases, is a traveller who is in hotel quarantine, and one is locally-acquired, with the source yet to be confirmed.

NSW Health said that two cases had been linked to the Thai Rock restaurant in Wetherill Park, Sydney. Two are linked to the Apollo restaurant at Potts Point and six new cases are associated with a cluster from funerals.

I will not risk our state's economic recovery by allowing COVID to spread. I will do everything I can to protect Queenslanders and the economy.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk

Wednesday, 10.15am

Closing the Queensland border is a logical step and will help Logan businesses survive the pandemic, a Jimboomba-based councillor said.

"The last thing we want to do is undo all the hard work we have done," Division 9's Scott Bannan said.

"Queensland has led from the front in fighting this pandemic.

"We can't afford a second wave. Our businesses can't afford it, and our community can't afford it."

Wednesday, 9.40am

Logan MP Linus Power has backed a government plan to turn away NSW visitors at the border from Saturday.

Mr Power said the risk of a widespread outbreak on the Queensland economy was too high.

"We cannot risk Queensland's economic recovery by allowing COVID-19 to spread," he said.

Won't wait for it to get worse: Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk.

Won't wait for it to get worse: Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said it was about putting the state first.

Ms Palaszczuk said the closure would be tough for Queenslanders.

"I said that when the moment came, I would not hesitate," the Premier said.

"That moment has arrived.

"Victoria hasn't improved as we hoped and I won't wait for NSW to get any worse.

"I will not risk our state's economic recovery by allowing COVID to spread. I will do everything I can to protect Queenslanders and the economy."

Opposition leader Deb Frecklington called for stiffer penalties for those caught breaking COVID-19 rules.

Speaking during a visit at the Redlands yesterday, Ms Frecklington demanded jail time for offenders.

"We need to keep Queensland safe and clearly the honour system is not working," she said.

"Government needs to impose the maximum penalties on people breaking the law - mandatory maximum fine of $13 300 or three months in jail."

In June, Ms Frecklington called for borders to reopen early.

We need to keep Queensland safe and clearly the honour system is not working

Opposition leader Deb Frecklington

Earlier

Queensland will close its border to NSW from 1am Saturday.

NSW and ACT residents will be barred entry into the state as Queensland's Chief Medical Officer, Jeanette Young, declares both COVID-19 hotspots.

Residents of border communities and essential workers like truck drivers will be able to cross the border.

The government said exemptions, including for compassionate reasons, would be limited.

It comes after one new case of the virus in Queensland in the past 24 hours.

Dr Young toughened restrictions on visiting Queensland aged care homes, including Redlands, Logan and Beaudesert, last week.

More to come

Do you think the government is doing enough to contain the COVID-19 spread? Let us know below

This story Logan's COVID-19 response strong: Chief Health Officer says first appeared on Jimboomba Times.