Beaudesert listed as house fire hot spot says QFES

Beaudesert high risk for house fires

BEAUDESERT has been tagged as a hot spot for house fires this winter, behind Logan, where firefighters were called to more than 20 incidents so far this season, according to the Queensland Fire and Emergency Service.

The service has already attended more than 60 residential structural fires across the region since May 1, and 23 of them have been in Logan.

Beaudesert is also an area of concern, according to QFES. Last week a family of six escaped injury after a house fire at Laravale.

"Though Ipswich, Beenleigh, Southport and Beaudesert are also considered high-risk localities, Logan continues to be a major hot spot for house fires," Logan area commander Geoff Townsley said.

"Due to the colder weather, people are spending a lot more time indoors, using appliances and heating equipment which can increase the chances of a fire starting.

"We often see a spike in house fires during the cooler months, so it is important to remain vigilant at home, particularly during winter, to ensure your home and family are prepared."

Mr Townsley said the top three causes of residential structure fires so far this winter were cooking equipment, heating systems and electrical distribution equipment like power boards.

"As we start to see the temperatures drop even further, it is very important to prepare," he said.

"This includes checking appliances for fraying or exposed cords, taking care when using matches, lighters and candles, and making sure flammable materials aren't placed too close to curtains or bedding."

Assistant commissioner Kevin Walsh said another step families should take was to create and regularly practice a fire escape plan.

"The importance of having an escape plan cannot be underestimated," Mr Walsh said.

"There is very little time between hearing your smoke alarm and making an escape, so it's essential the entire household knows how to make their way out of the building in a safe and timely manner.

"Parents should practice with their kids and make it an on-going activity so it becomes second nature."

Mr Walsh said there were several simple steps that people could take to protect their family, pets and property.

They should check electrical items are in good condition, install an electrical safety switch and only use one appliance per power point.

Mr Walsh also urged people to turn off their electric blanket before going to sleep, and store matches and lighters in a safe place.