NOMINATIONS are now open for the 2019 Multicultural Queensland Awards, aimed at recognising the valuable contributions of Queenslanders who support and promote a united, harmonious and inclusive Queensland community.
In launching the 2019 MQA, Multicultural Affairs Minister Stirling Hinchliffe called on nominations for deserving Queenslanders and Queensland organisations.
"These awards are about acknowledging and showcasing the many initiatives that individuals, groups, business and governments undertake to bring people together, create a sense of belonging and celebrate the state's rich cultural diversity," Mr Hinchliffe said.
"Last year we saw worthy winners such as Yeronga State High School for leading the way in culturally inclusive practices, Football Queensland for using the power of sport to promote the benefits of cultural diversity and Townsville City Council for its commitment to employing people from diverse cultural backgrounds and bringing the Multicultural Queensland Charter to life.
"The 2018 awards also recognised the achievements of inspiring individuals including Nkosana Mafico, founder of the Council for Young Africans Living Abroad, and Faiza El-Higzi for her commitment to human rights and cultural diversity.
"I strongly urge anyone who is involved in the multicultural sector or promotes the benefits of cultural diversity here in Queensland to nominate now."
Read more: Meet our Australian Local Hero finalists
The categories for this year's awards include:
- Outstanding Young Achiever - for under 25 years, including volunteers
- Outstanding Individual Achiever - for 25 years and over, including volunteers
- Community - for not-for-profit community organisations or groups
- Education, Training and Skills - for government and non-government early childhood education and care, schools, universities, TAFEs or registered training organisations located in Queensland
- Business - for businesses, companies and finance
- Media - for journalists, bloggers and online influencers
- Government (local) - for a local government organisation or team within a local government organisation
- Government - for a state government organisation or team within a State government organisation
- Minister's Multicultural Award - for the outstanding achievements of a finalist, selected by the minister from all finalists.
Nominations close at 5pm on April 18 . Winners will be announced at an awards ceremony on Friday, August 30 during Multicultural Queensland Month.
For more information, to nominate online or to download the nomination form visit qld.gov.au/mqa